Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sick & tired of being sick!

So I have been sick for the last two weeks. For the first week, I assumed that I just had a cold, and I was very congested with a sore throat. Then, on Friday of last week, I felt like I had a fever at work all day, and I came home and discovered that I had a low fever. I started to feel a lot of pressure in my head, but I figured that it was something minor probably, like a sinus infection. I spent the rest of the weekend resting, and I started to feel worse and worse each day--definitely feverish, intense headache, ear pain, and still tons of congestion. I decided to go to the doctor on Monday, and I found out that I have strep throat and the flu!!! I couldn't believe it. When I got to the doctor on Monday, I had a fever above 102. I was pretty much miserable all week. I broke down after I went to the doctor and asked my mom to come up to Dallas and stay with me until I was well enough to go to work. She drove up on Tuesday afternoon, and was a huge lifesaver!!! I don't think I would have been able to handle taking care of Frankie and myself at the same time while feeling so sick.

On Monday evening after my appointment I went to CVS to pick up my medicine, and I waited in the drive through lane for about 30 minutes--without moving--when Frankie started screaming in the back seat. I decided to go inside to get the medicine, and I unwisely just carried Frank in with me, and went to the end of the huge line inside. It took another 35 minutes to get up to the register, and most of the people in front of me were still waiting on the sideline to get their prescriptions filled. The poor cash register must have taken pity on me (I am sure I looked insanely sick as I was sweating profusely and shaking with a fever and having to carry my 16-lb baby for so long), because she filled my prescription right then and I was able to leave without waiting anymore. Thank goodness!!!! The doctor gave me Tamiflu and antibiotics, but those medicines were not helping me with my fever, pressure in my head, or my congestion, so I also was taking extra strength tylenol and cold medicine. I wasn't sure if I could take tylenol with the other meds, so I didn't for the first 15 hours or so, and I was absolutely dying.

Finally, by Thursday, I started to feel better! Even today, I am still very congested, and I am still feeling pressure in my head in the evenings, but the worst has passed. My mom was a huge help this week, taking care of both me and Frankie. She cooked me dinner, made me milk shakes, washed all the bottles, and kept me company. I don't know what I would do without her, and it is times like this that I really wish she and my Dad lived in Dallas. Actually, I wish that all the time!!! MOVE HERE MOM & DAD!! This whole episode has also made me realize that I may need to hire a nanny. I am going to begin the nanny search again this week and see if we can find someone. I really like the day care that Frankie goes to, but I cannot handle getting sick so much! It is just too much for me to work full time, have Frank travelling for work and doing grad school and reserves on the weekend when you throw in getting sick all the time on top of it. So we'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment