Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Poor baby!

Sweet little Frankie is sick...AGAIN. This time, he has a double ear infection and bronchiolitis, which was most likely caused by RSV. He was up Saturday and Sunday night with a horrible cough and a lot of congestion, and then Monday night he had a low-grade fever. I took him to the doctor on Tuesday morning, and the doctor heard him wheezing a little, so she had him do a breathing treatment with a nebulizer. I have never dealt with asthma or any other breathing problems before, so I was completely unprepared for the breathing treatment. She put the little mask on his face, told me to hold him because he "might fight me and will probably cry," and then left the room. The machine blew medicine in a mist in his face, and he screamed, and cried and writhed and tried as hard as he could to get that thing off his face for the first five minutes. Then, he suddenly stopped fighting...and stopped moving at all. Of course this scared me even worse. It was like he fell asleep! I was just totally freaked out. The doctor finally came back about 15 minutes later and of course he was completely fine. She told me a lot of babies fall asleep during breathing treatments because the sound of the mist is soothing to them. She rechecked his breathing and said that he sounded better. So, we now have a nebulizer and are supposed to do these breathing treatments 3 times a day until his cough and wheezing are gone. There is about a 50 percent chance that he will have asthma, which really sucks. Hopefully this is just a one-time illness! He did seem to sleep much better last night, and his cough seems to be a lot better, so I hope that he will be feeling good by Christmas. I am leaving tomorrow morning to fly out to New Jersey for my uncle's funeral, so I am leaving Frankie with Frank until Saturday evening. I am sure they will be fine, but it is hard to leave when my baby is sick. Please continute to keep my family in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment