Thursday, September 6, 2012

Visiting Monte in Washington DC


I spent Labor day weekend in Washington, DC visiting Monte and DC for the first time since I left there more than five years ago (I cannot believe it has been that long!!).  Monte is doing really well.  He is so inspired and determined to kick ass on his physical recovery.  While we were there, he put together a 6-foot tall book shelf, got out of his wheelchair, folded it up, and put it in the trunk of a car by himself, cooked 5 people bacon and eggs for breakfast, and walked on his prosthetic legs in the mall for the first time.  He is recovering at an amazing pace.  They say he is 7 weeks ahead of schedule on his legs.  Even though Monte is so positive and determined, you can also tell that he is really struggling.  I can only imagine how hard it is for him to wake up every morning and realize that he has so many challenges ahead of him.  We are continuing to pray for him and his healing every day, and we appreciate everyone who continues to support his recovery!  You can get updates about Monte and donate to his recovery at www.montebernardo.org.

On Friday night we took Monte, his girlfriend, and Frank's sisters out to dinner at Sequoia, which is where Frank and I celebrated our first year of dating anniversary.  It was fabulous, and afterward we strolled around Georgetown for a few hours.  It was surreal to be back in the city.  On Monday we went with Monte and Amanda into DC and toured the law school, Union Station, the Capitol, and the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  We had a great day showing Monte around some of my old stomping grounds.  It was fun to be back in DC, but I sure don't miss my time there!

We missed Frankie so much while we were gone, but he was in the good hands of Nana and Papa.  He has been a little terror since we have been back, but I think he is just about done punishing us for leaving him.  Next trip, he is coming with us!

Here are some pictures from the trip:

Frank, me, and Monte

Ariela, Stella, Frank, and Monte

Monte and his girlfriend Amanda
Me and my sweetz

Ariela and Stella

Monte walking no his prosthetic legs for the first time!
cooking us all breakfast

brothers at the capitol!



No comments:

Post a Comment