Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Chocolate syrup helps the medicine go down
Frankie absolutely hates medicine. When he was younger, it was easy enough to force him to take it, but in the last month or so, it has become really difficult to get that medicine in his mouth and keep it there. Sometimes I have luck mixing it with juice, yogurt, or applesauce, but sometimes he detects the medicine and then refuses to eat or drink any more. When Frank is here with me, sometimes we can hold him down, hold his hands, hold his mouth open, and force the medicine in there, but usually at least half of it is spat back out at us. And he is way too strong for me to get it in him that way by myself. I have tried putting the medicine on a spoon, in a sippy cup, in a regular cup...nothing works consistently. Tonight, I gave him the medicine mixed with some juice in his sippy cup and he refused to drink it. I took the medicine out of the sippy cup and put it in his bathroom cup that he loves to drink out of, but he shook his head "no" and clamped his mouth shut. I remembered reading in a baby book that chocolate can mask the aftertaste of medicine, so I decided to put chocolate syrup on the spout of the sippy cup and see if he would drink it. And it worked! Sort of. He drank about 3/4 of the medicine before he decided he had enough of my shenanigans. Maybe the key is to keep mixing it up? I have 8 more days of this medicine to go, so hopefully I will manage to get at least most of it in him so that these ear infections go away for good! My mom told me that I am smarter than him so I just need to keep coming up with ways to trick him, but I feel like my days as the smarter one are already numbered!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment