I have never been very good at making decisions. Well, that is not completely true. I am very good at deciding I want something and going for it. Where I struggle is when I have too many options. It is so hard for me to look at a bunch of different options, all of which are good in some way or another, and choose. Right now, I am trying to decide where we are going to switch Frankie for day care/preschool, and I am agonizing over this decision. We have toured every preschool or day care within a 5 mile radius of our house, and I have narrowed it down to my top two choices. The problem is that they are completely different. They are both the best at what they are, and I just have to decide which route I want to go. But how do I know which route to choose? I have no idea now what kind of kid Frankie will be. Will he be creative and love to learn? Will he hate school? Will he care more about having a lot of friends or mastering multiplication by age 5? Oh, how I hate these decisions.
In my life, I have had to make "big" decisions like this only a few times--when I decided where to go to law school and when I decided which law firms to spend my 2L summer with. I have always felt torn between doing what is the most prestigious and objectively "best" and doing what is best based on more subjective factors--quality of life, money, people, or location. With law school, I chose to go to a less prestigious school because I really liked Washington DC and because the school offered to pay for my tuition. Then...I absolutely hated law school. I often wonder where I would be if I had chosen differently. I think this is the decision that shaped the rest of my life, because I do not think I would have married Frank or moved to Dallas if I had gone to law school in New York as I had originally planned. Then, in my second year of law school, I had to make my next big decision: which firm should I go work for. Again, I did not choose the "best" firm I interviewed with. When I was a summer associate, it was common for people to split their summers with two different firms. I actually tried to split with three firms, because I really could not decide between my two favorites, and I wanted to have a middle-of-the-road firm too. At the first firm where I started practicing, I thought I hated being a lawyer and did not even know if I wanted to work at all. Now, after being at my new firm for a little over a year, I can finally say that I enjoy what I do! Maybe the lesson in all of this is that no matter what choices I make, I just have to trust that God has a plan for me, for Frankie, and for my family, and that everything will work out in the end. But I still wish that someone else would just make this decision for me.
Monday, April 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment