Well, as you can see from these pictures, our weekend was pretty much sandwiched between two extremes: a wonderful Saturday baby shower with good friends, gorgeous weather, and fun and a miserable Sunday spend at the Dallas Children's Hospital ER. On Saturday we were at a baby shower at our friends' house and I went down a slide on their playground with Frankie in my lap. He was fine at the top of the slide and then was crying when we got to the bottom. It is a pretty fast slide, so I figured he was just scared. I did not notice his foot or leg bending or anything at the time. I carried him around for a while trying to calm him down, and then I brought him inside to eat. He ate, seemed better, and then cried the moment I put him down on the ground. My friend Sara (another mom) noticed that and suggested we take his shoes off to see if he had a bite or burn or something on his foot. His feet and ankles both looked fine, although one foot was a little red on the top. We put him down to try to walk again and noticed he was kindof limping, like he didn’t want to put weight on one foot. So, I called the pediatrician's nurses hotline who suggested we go to the ER. We went to the ER by our house, told them what happened and that we thought it was his left foot (the one that was slightly red). They x-rayed Frankie's foot and then said it looked fine, must be a sprain, and sent us home.Sunday morning, he woke up and trying to stand in his crib and then started crying like crazy--he was inconsolable. So after we fed him we realized that it was actually his RIGHT foot that he refused to stand on, not his left. I was so irritated that we told the doctor the wrong foot, and that they did not even bother to check which foot was actually hurt. So we decided to go to the Dallas Children's Hospital ER and have them check the other foot. We were really impressed with them, because they were super thorough, checked both of his legs, x-rayed his entire right leg, checked his hips for infection (which is supposedly pretty common at this age), and did a bunch of blood work to rule out a bunch of other scary things. Basically, they found nothing, so they think it is just a sprain or bone bruise or something like that. I am hoping and praying that he can walk on it today, because it was so hard to carry him around all day yesterday. He was sooo good in the hospital though. We were there yesterday for 7 hours!!! And they had to give him an IV, which was the hardest thing I have ever had to see. He was screaming, sweating, and crying, the whole time. It felt like an eternity, but it was probably only like 5 minutes. After they put the IV in they had to put a diaper "glove" on his other hand to keep him from ripping the IV out. He tried to bite it off several times. Poor little guy! He was a trooper.
As of this morning, he is still not wanting to put any weight at all on his right foot. We are supposed to go back to the doctor on Wednesday if he is not noticeably better. Please pray for a speedy recovery! Little man is miserable not being able to walk and move around like normal.
Here are a few pictures from Saturday morning in front of our beautiful roses:
such a ham!


No comments:
Post a Comment