Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Keep your medical opinions to yourself

Since Frankie hurt his foot/ankle, I have told the story to a bunch of people, and I have received a ton of differing advice and opinions. Some people think we went overboard taking him to the ER and having a bunch of tests done, and other people think we did not get enough tests done. Some people think we should take him back to the doctor, get him an MRI, take him to a specialist, or have his entire leg reexamined. Others think that we should just keep watching him. Obviously I am not a doctor, so I have no idea what to do. The doctors at both ERs told us that sprains are extremely rare for toddlers, and they did not give us any advice regarding treatment, except that we should try to keep him off his feet as much as we could. That is (of course) really hard to do with a toddler. They did not give us a wrap, a splint, or anything else to help, and they did not recommend ice or heat. They did say we should give ibuprofen for pain management.

Anyway, today when I picked Frankie up from day care, his normal teacher was already gone for the day and the two other teachers gave me a really hard time about his ankle. They told me that he was very upset in the afternoon and wanted to be held (duh--his ankle hurt from walking on it all day), and that I really needed to get him a splint so that it could heal. I don't know why, but it really bothered me, because I felt like they were insinuating that I was not doing everything I could to help him feel better. I called his pediatrician earlier today and she wants me to bring him in tomorrow so that she can check out his injury. I am assuming she will either tell us to hold tight or refer us to a specialist after our visit. Hopefully she will give us some answers to help alleviate his pain and help him heal faster. I hate seeing my baby boy in pain and frustrated because he cannot run around and climb like he wants to.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, my friend. You know Frankie better than anyone, and you also care about him more than anyone! You will figure it out. In the meantime just smile and nod at everyone who thinks they know what's best! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete