Monday, June 10, 2013

Potty training

A couple of weeks ago, Frank's teachers told us to bring him to school in underwear because he was ready to potty train.  We have been sporadically using a potty for months, but we have not been pushing him, and we did not want to start really training at home until they were ready at school too.  I thought this was probably the absolute worst timing, since I knew I could have a baby any minute and I have heard many, many stories about older kids regressing with potty training once the new baby arrives...but we decided to go ahead and go with it anyway.  He has done great!  He had accidents the first few days, but the last week, he has not had any accidents during the day.  We started off bribing him with jelly beans, but he really did not need the candy and is happy just with the huge deal we make out of any successful potty attempt.  Sometimes he goes completely by himself now, and he will walk out of the bathroom and say, "Mommy, say 'Yay, I'm proud of you!'"  Sometimes he then tells me to say it louder.  Or sometimes he says "Don't say 'yay.'"  It is so cute!!  The other day I went to the bathroom when I was upstairs with him, and he said, "Mommy, did you poop or pee?"  I told him I peed, and he said, "Yay, I'm proud of you!"  Haha.  So, he is officially potty trained (for now) during the day.  But the nighttime is another story.  He has had an accident pretty much every night since we started doing this.  We always make sure to take him twice before he goes to bed and then immediately after he wakes up, but he still goes once during the night in his bed and does not wake up.  I actually had a lot of issues with this growing up and eventually had to take medicine to enable me to go through the night without wetting the bed, so I REALLY hope he does not have this same issue.  We may try waking him up at night to pee and seeing if that helps.  We will be up at night a lot anyway once Baby Lily gets here! 

Speaking of baby....we are all shocked that she is not here yet.  My parents came up this weekend, SURE that I would have the baby before my Dad had to leave to go back to Houston this morning....but, still no baby.  I never thought I would make it this close to my due date, but obviously Liliana has her own opinion about when she wants to come out!  I decided not to go into work this morning, so I am going to spend the day at home with Frank, Frankie, and Nana.  We'll see if Lily decides that today is the day or if she is going to wait until we go in tomorrow morning. I am so excited to meet my sweet girl, and to see my sweet boys with their new sister/daughter.

Yesterday morning my husband decided to run a half marathon.  He barely trained at all for it, yet he still managed to run it in about 2 hours, which is absolutely amazing!!  Frank truly amazes me sometimes.  I went out with Frankie and my Dad to cheer him on at the finish line, and he was SO HAPPY to see us there.  It made me so proud of him, and I actually teared up and was not able to cheer!  Frankie was so proud of his Daddy, and it was just a really special moment to see Frank running for a cause that is so close to his heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment