Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pushing limits

Yesterday, while my infant was behaving like an angel, my toddler was driving me absolutely insane.  Frankie has always pushed my limits, but lately he has been going above and beyond to test me.  For instance, yesterday at nap time, I put him upstairs in his room, read him a couple of books and told him two stories, and then told him he needed to stay in his room.  I left the room, and he ran outside and wanted me to go back in.  We repeated this scenario about 50 times over the course of the next hour, only add in him poking me in the eye, kicking me in the face, and a whole lot of screaming and crying. I try being nice, being firm, being mean, offering rewards for being good, taking away favorite toys for being bad, ignoring him, offering extra love....nothing seems to work.  The only way I finally got him to stay in his room was when I let him stand at the gate at the top of the stairs, screaming, crying, and shaking the gate, for about 10 minutes until he wore himself out.  He is about to break that gate though, so that is not really the best or safest option, and I really need to figure out a way to get him to quietly go down for his nap when he is at home.  Even after this huge ordeal, he still did not take a nap, but at least he stayed quietly in his room for two hours.

About an hour after he woke up, we had another battle that resulted in a two-minute time out that lasted thirty minutes because he would not stay in time out unless I held the door to the room closed for the entire two-minute period.

I have been wanting to keep Frankie home with me and Lily for a few days each week for the rest of my maternity leave, because I think it would help him get through his issues with the baby, and it would help mend our relationship and reassure him that Mommy is still here for him, too.  However, on days like yesterday, I cannot imagine spending every day at home with both kids.  I think he would drive me absolutely insane.  I know that this phase too shall pass, but I also know that this is my only chance to get to spend this quality time with both kids before I go back to work, and I really wish that Frankie was making it a little easier to want to spend this time with him.  He is so, so sweet to Lily, and I know he loves his sister, but I also know that he is going through a hard time with the whole transition from one to two kids.

1 comment:

  1. Micala, You are not alone. Every boy this age is acting this way. And yes I deal with these types of things every single day! Mason only naps a few days a week now, he is really transitioning out, so don't push that too hard. I think the transition to him being home may be hard for him too. He is now used to his friends and teachers and schedule at school, so maybe don't keep him home as much?! It may just be better for the both of you. Or just pick him up earlier in the afternoons or something? You are a great mom and just know that he is normal :)

    ReplyDelete