Thursday, February 10, 2011

Highs and lows of mommyhood

Yesterday was a rough one for me. I am not sure why, because nothing particularly bad happened, but around 3:30 p.m. I got overwhelmed and decided to brave the icy weather just to drive around and hope that Frank fell asleep in his carseat and then would stay asleep when I brought him inside. Of course, he slept the entire time I was driving around and then woke up immediately upon entering the house. He has not been napping well during the day at all, unless I let him sleep on me, which is fine but then I cannot get anything done. He slept on me for 2.5 hours yesterday morning and I finally woke him up so that I could go to the bathroom. And he SCREAMED! He screamed like he was starving to death. I absolutely hate listening to him scream like that. He seems to have been screaming like that more lately, but maybe it just seems that way because we have been cooped up together for two weeks now. So anyway, I was depressed because I was exhausted, my back hurt from carrying him around so much, I haven't found time to work out or wash my hair all week, and it was breaking my heart to hear him scream like that so much. Right after I called my sister and cried, it was like a light switch was turned on, and Frank turned into an angel baby. He cooed and smiled and did not fuss or cry from that point on through the rest of the night. He let me eat dinner, give him a bath, give him his medicine, and he fell asleep right after his bottle and stayed asleep through the night. It was like he knew that I really needed a night like that to remember that this is my last week alone with him before I go back to work, and I need to treasure this time.

We put him on a new formula and I also found some tips online for giving him his medicine, so hopefully one or both of these new things will help with his reflux and eliminate his bouts of screaming! Here are a few pictures I snapped the last couple of days:

smiles
mommy's heartbreaker
smiles during tummy time
trying to roll over again
just hanging out
Katy Didd

1 comment:

  1. I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from! There are some days when I get so frustrated! I just try to remind myself that Austen is still trying to figure things out...after all, she was inside much longer than she has been on the outside! That tends to put things into perspective and make me feel better!

    ReplyDelete