Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Upstairs updates

Since I have been on maternity leave, we have been working on some updates to our home.  Frank (finally) decorated his office, we are having the master bedroom painted a beautiful gray/blue, and we are meeting with landscape architects to design an outdoor living space in our backyard that we hope to have completed this winter.  We have also rearranged and updated our upstairs.  When we made Frankie's room the new nursery for Lily, we moved Frankie into the old playroom (which is technically supposed to be a media room).  We then turned my old reading room into the new playroom.  This room is pretty small, but it is just big enough for some toy storage, a child's table and chairs, two bean bag chairs, and a few of Frankie's bigger toys, including his tool bench and home center.  I love having a room dedicated to his toys, and I am slowly working toward moving toys out of the living room and into the playroom.





The other big update we have completed includes three wrought iron fixtures we had installed upstairs.  We have three large openings in the walls upstairs, one in the new playroom and two in the loft area. There are wide ledges on each opening, which has caused us concern about the possibility of kids trying to climb up onto the ledges and possibly jumping or falling from the second story.  Multiple people in our families expressed this concern to us, so we started to brainstorm about different ideas of how to enclose the openings or otherwise eliminate the safety hazard.  Frank's dad had the idea of installing iron fixtures into the openings, and I loved that idea.  We ended up having three different iron inserts custom made to fit into the openings, and we absolutely love how they turned out.  I think they enhance the beauty of our home, along with remedying the safety concerns.






No comments:

Post a Comment